The following are general safety measures in establishing and maintaining fire protection in the workplace: Lives are lost mainly due to the fact that people do not know what to do and where to go. The evacuation Drills address the points of what to do and where to go.
- Never pile or lay material in a way that it covers or blocks access to firefighting equipment.
- Make sure to use only approved containers for the separation and disposal of combustible refuse. Remember to always replace the lid.
- Never store flammable materials within 10 feet of a building or other structure.
- Stack and pile all materials in orderly and stable piles.
- Never let unnecessary combustible materials get accumulated in any part of your work area.
- Make a periodic clean-up of entire work site and keep grass and weeds under control.
- Regularly dispose of combustible debris and scrap from your work area.
- Use only approved containers and tanks for storage, handling, and transport of combustible and flammable liquid.
- Always perform evaluation procedures before performing operations that present fire hazards like welding.